How Chlorophyll Will Help You Lose Weight
Reading the word “chlorophyll” likely took you straight back to an elementary school science class. But it seems chlorophyll has more uses than just creating energy for plants. Research shows chlorophyll supplements can actually foster weight loss.
What is chlorophyll?
Chlorophyll is the green molecule in plants that absorbs sunlight during photosynthesis. It then converts the sunlight into energy. Basically, chlorophyll is what makes plants green, similar to how melanin affects skin color in animals.
Chlorophyll has already been proven to benefit your skin by reducing sun damage, is can work as an acne remedy, and it can help with healing wounds through neutralizing skin bacteria. It has also been found to be a natural deodorant, reducing the symptoms in people with trimethylaminuria, a condition that causes fishy odors. It has a few other benefits, but one of the biggest is that it may be an anticarcinogenic. A study found that chlorophyll may limit the bioavailability of aflatoxins, a compound known to cause cancer.
Register For Our 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge
How can chlorophyll help with weight loss?
A study published in 2014 on PubMed found that taking chlorophyll as a supplement once a day for 12 weeks induced weight loss, improved obesity-related risk factors, and reduced the urge for palatable food.
The study followed 38 women between 40 and 56 years old with a body mass indexes (BMI) ranging between 55-79 lb./ft.(2). The women were randomly chosen to receive a dietary supplement with chlorophyll (5g) or a placebo. This supplement was to be consumed once daily before breakfast for 12 weeks. All participants ate three meals a day with no snacking in between meals. They also had to increase their activity level. Their body weight was tracked every third week. The subjects who took the chlorophyll supplement lost significantly more weight than those who took the placebo. Mean weight loss with the supplement was 11.0 +/- 2.3 lbs. compared to 7.7 +/- 2.3 lbs. without. The supplements were also found to reduce total and LDL-cholesterol and decreased the urge for sweets and chocolate.
Based on this research, it may be possible to lose weight on a chlorophyll supplement.
Change Your Life – Lose Weight In Just 4 Weeks
Benefits of Chlorophyll
- Chlorophyll promotes the production of red blood cells.
- It absorbs toxins that are in the intestines and the body.
- Chlorophyll acts as an internal deodorant: bad breath, sweat, stools, urine, and menstrual odors.
- It has antioxidant capacities. These capacities are 1000 times superior to xanthines: caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine.
- Chlorophyll has anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Chlorophyll increases the production of white blood cells, fighting against health conditions.
- The components are anti-inflammatory, it accelerates healing. The effects are anti-inflammatory and healing when applied directly to the wound.
- It is a regulator of intestinal fermentation by reducing the production of gas and toxins that occur during digestion as well as helps to protect the liver, the second line of defense after the intestinal barrier.
Chlorophyll Side Effects
Even Though Chlorophyll is generally non-toxic, it’s important to understand that there can be some mild side effects associated when taking chlorophyll supplements. Some of these reported side effects include:
- Gastrointestinal cramping
- Discolored stools
Keep in mind that the U.S. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t regulate or recommend a daily allowance for chlorophyll supplements, so if it’s consumed in large amounts or if it is labeled improperly, it’s possible that chlorophyll can be harmful.
It is always a good idea to check with your healthcare provider if you’re taking any prescription medications, as chlorophyll supplements could interfere with certain drugs, especially those that cause increased sensitivity to the sun.
- How Planning Your Meals Can Help You Lose Weight
- Managing Cold & Flu Season With Fitness
- Benefits Of Off Days And Relaxation
A variety of medical studies have suggested that Chlorophyll may be helpful for in the following ways:
- Anti-aging remedy
- Acne treatment
- Blood-building properties
- Deodorant properties
- Wound-healing properties
Liquid Chlorophyll is very popular supplement that many add to their morning drink and is known to not have any toxic components. Drinkable Chlorophyll is said to be safe in moderation and is meant to be slowly introduced to help your body slowly adjust to this new supplement.
You can buy Chlorophyll supplements at your local drug store or online from a reputable vitamin and supplement store.